When an emergency situation presents itself, we almost always know that we’re dealing with something dangerous and need to act quickly—these types of situations have been engrained in our brain for years and years. But what about different types of emergencies: ones that we might not be familiar with—how will you know when you’re facing something like, say, a septic emergency?
Knowing the line between problem and emergency is something every homeowner should get to know when it comes to their septic system because there’s absolutely a such thing as a septic emergency. In fact, being able to identify one and call for emergency septic services in Leland, NC can sometimes be the difference between a resolvable problem and an ongoing catastrophe!
Know your emergencies
Like all emergencies, a septic emergency is a situation that might put yours or your family’s health at risk. Believe it or not, even something as simple as a backed up toilet can do this, depending on the severity of your situation. Here are some definite emergencies that you can and should recognize right away when it comes to your septic tank:
- Foul odors coming from your toilet or sinks, even when they’re not being used. This means that effluent is backing up into your home unseen and noxious odors can actually carry with them adverse gasses.
- If your drainfield is flooded and you can clearly see effluent on the surface of your lawn, make sure no one goes near that area and a professional is called immediately. Again, effluent is raw waste and very toxic.
- If you flush your toilet and notice a drop in air pressure or a heavy gurgling noise that suggests air in the line. This could mean that your plumbing is compromised somewhere or that a failure has occurred in the line, which can allow effluent and sludge to escape the tank environment.
These are the three big ones, but a good rule of thumb is that if you can see or smell raw waste, a call to your local professional for emergency septic services in Leland, NC is in order.
What can you do?
It’s advised that you stay as far away from the problem as possible once you’ve identified it, but there are also a few other things you can and should do:
- Make sure all children and pets stay away from the affected areas.
- Do not use your toilets or other fixtures until they have a chance to be inspected by a professional: even if they appear to be fine, it’s best to wait.
- Do your best to contain any problems as best you can without coming into contact with them.
If you’re prompt in calling for a professional and adequately describe the situation you’re facing, there’s a good chance that you won’t have to wait long for help—septic professionals know an emergency when they hear one!
Did you know we provide septic service in Hampstead NC?
The Sewer & Drain Medic is here for you when looking for the best septic system maintenance company with great reviews! Read testimonials from customers of our septic services in Hampstead to Leland and areas surrounding Wilmington, NC. We are committed to top quality customer service, whether your septic system needs an upgrade or you need immediate emergency septic services. We’re here to keep your septic system flowing smoothly – give us a call at (910) 233-9618.